The Dung Beetle says “RRR” about plastic pollution! Reduce, reuse and recycle!
Did you know that only 11% of the plastic in South Africa is reused or recycled?
You can do your part first by REDUCING your plastic use like this:
- Use cloth bags for shopping, plastic shopping bags are yuck.
- Don’t bag your fruit and veggies in the shop, use a reusable bag or just take it home naked!
- Don’t use cling wrap! Reuse hard plastic or ceramic bowls for leftovers.
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers and bags.
- Chewing gum is made from plastic, yuck! It’s best to just whistle.
- If you see too much plastic packaging at the supermarket, ask the manager to use less.
- Never buy bottles of water or a cool drink, use a glass or steel water bottle instead.
If we can REUSE plastic, even once, then that stops more from being made!
- Reuse plastic yogurt tubs that are marked plastic number 5, and pack your lunch in there!
- Clean plastic ziplock bags, you can reuse these like ten times!
- Repurpose plastic bottles into planters, pencil cases or really anything.
- Hang two litre bottles on your wall for a vertical garden.
- Share this link with your teachers and friends, learn more!
- Get to know your plastic numbers through our helpful “What The Plastic?” Guide.
- Put your plastic in a separate bin from your glass and metal.
- If you clean your plastic, it is MUCH more likely to be recycled.
- Plastic must be dry, this also stops it from stinking….ewwwww.